[cfe-dev] libc++ and the Intel compiler

Guy Davidson guy at creative-assembly.com
Tue Aug 30 03:28:03 PDT 2011

OK, back from holidays, I've mulled over what has been said by Jonathan, Douglas and Konstantin and I would like to press ahead with the Intel compatibility on my own time.  However, I am a little confused by ABI compatibility.  I was under the impression that if a library features anything other than the built in C types then it needs to be built with the compiler you're intending to deploy it with.  While I have extensive C++ experience, I have very little compiler-tech experience, so I'm happy to be corrected and pointed to documentation on the matter.

Having re-read that paragraph, I also note that the Intel compiler is a drop-in replacement in XCode and MSVC, which runs counter to what I'm saying.  So which version of libc++ is sitting on my Mac?  And why have I had to roll my own std::move?  I'm still keen on making libc++ buildable by the Intel compiler though.  I think it would be good personal experience.

Cheers,
Guy Davidson