[cfe-dev] Clang online demo: no warning!

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 07:54:22 PDT 2011

> But the warning did not appear, leading me to think that the CGI script does
> not pass -Wall when invoking Clang.

That's correct. Tanya only recently switched the demo page over to
clang (previously it used llvm-gcc and was intended really only as a
demo of LLVM, not of the compiler - hence no warning flags, etc.
Everyone's seen GCC's warnings before) & it hasn't really been spruced
up to take advantage of, or show off, clang as yet.

I've got a CR out at the moment to add coloring support to the
diagnostic output (you'll see that it does produce at least one
warning for the example code - an unused parameter - but that it's
just plain black text rather than the nice multicolored, highlighted,
etc output you might be used to seeing from clang) & after that I've
got some ideas about adding warning levels and maybe support for the
clang static analyzer.

I don't have any specific plans about the layout/design of the page in
the long term with these additions, so there's still a lot to hash out
in terms of what functionality is provided (do we need the ability to
turn warnings on & off, or is a simple "hey, this is how awesome
clang's diagnostics are, but you can turn them off in the real
product" sufficient to waylay any user fears that they're going to end
up with a really noisy build if they use clang).

- David