[cfe-dev] Clang C++0x: uniform initializers status

Sean Hunt scshunt at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 8 13:03:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:30, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2011, at 10:26 AM, David Blaikie wrote:
>> On the subject, then - what's the support for standard attribute
>> syntax? I've certainly seen some tests for that checked in (lambda
>> support hit some of these test cases) but the status page shows
>> nothing.
>
> I don't believe it's complete. CC'ing Sean, who can tell us more.
>
>        - Doug

It's been a while since I touched it. If I recall correctly, the
attribute parses in nearly every location (something tells me we're
missing them in enums; at some point uploading a test suite that
checks every point where an attribute-specifier can appear in the
grammar would be good). The actual application of attributes is quite
broken as it follows the GNU model. While this is "good enough" for
most applications, it's not conformant.

The only attributes actually supported, if I recall correctly, are
"alignas" and "noreturn", as other attributes were disabled with the
intent that we could think through their application and put them
inside attribute namespaces. "carries_dependency" might be parsed and
ignored (it occurs to me that perhaps the thread safety annotations
might be interested in this attribute? I'm not familiar with the C++0x
execution model enough to know if that's the case.

Sean