[cfe-dev] Toolset for clang in Windows under Boost

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Wed Sep 22 15:46:21 PDT 2010

On 9/22/2010 5:16 PM, Francois Pichet wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Edward Diener
> <eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com>  wrote:
>> You do provide a means of building clang on Windows through the VS
>> Studio solution.
>
> yes see: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
>
>> Is there any functional difference between clang on Windows and clang on
>> Linux/MacOS ? What would it take to provide a toolset for clang on
>> Windows that can compile Boost libraries ?
>
> clang can compile boost.  On windows, it should theoretically work but
> you may need to tweak the compiler command line options to make it
> work. For example, if you compile clang with VS, clang will search the
> msvc include directories to find #include path.

I do not understand this. I am not talking about building clang, but
using clang to compile Boost. What does VS have to do with that ?

> But clang cannot
> currently parse the msvc header files.

Are you saying that clang needs the msvc header files under Windows ?

> If you want to build boost on Windows using clang, I suggest you build
> clang using MinGW.

It sounds like you are saying that when clang is built with VS it
automatically uses the msvc header files awhen it is used to compile
source files but if it is built with MingW it automatically uses the
MingW header files when it is used to compile source files. Can that
really be so ? I would have assumed that however it is built it would
use its own header files and standard library.

As far as the Windows SDK header files I would guess that some Boost
libraries do use them, but I do not know why they would not be able to
be used by clang.