[cfe-dev] Invalidated Iterator Project

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Fri Sep 10 11:04:34 PDT 2010

On Sep 10, 2010, at 3:25 AM, Christopher Jefferson wrote:

> On 9 Sep 2010, at 10:58, Jim Goodnow II wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to the Clang dev list and will be working on adding static
>> analysis checking for C++. I've been doing a lot of reading of the
>> existing code and am ready to start coding. It would be very useful
>> to get some feedback and suggestions on implementation.
>
> What are the advantages over adding this code into a debugging version of the standard library, such as the ones contained in both VC++ and g++?

They are complementary approaches.  Static analysis can potentially find the issues early, or find cases that are hard to trigger in practice.  Runtime checking will find issues that static analysis doesn't find because of analysis imprecision, but will only find the issues when the code gets triggered (possibly in some corner case).