[cfe-dev] What configure options should I use to build clang with clang?

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Tue Sep 7 18:18:17 PDT 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, at 6:03 PM, crazygamealexs at hotmail.com wrote:

> Your not helping at all. Your just restating the problem that I'm having.
> Yes clang doesn't include the headers by default, but what I can do about
> it?  I just recently try rebuilding it with --with-cxx-include-root
> configure on and it still doesn't search for the header files by default. On
> the"getting started" one of the solutions is so vague when it says "changes
> the lines below to include that path". What changes exactly? Any examples?

Read the message again. It's telling you to modify the clang sources and implement a "hack" by changing the lines to include the path to the correct C++ header files. The command in the first sub-bullet tells you how to get the paths to put in that file.

You realize of course that you'll have to first build clang++ again with your system compiler before you can build clang with clang.

-bw

If you intend to work on Clang C++ support, you may need to tell it how to find your C++ standard library headers. If Clang cannot find your system libstdc++ headers, please follow these instructions:
'gcc -v -x c++ /dev/null -fsyntax-only' to get the path.
Look for the comment "FIXME: temporary hack: hard-coded paths" inclang/lib/Frontend/InitHeaderSearch.cpp and change the lines below to include that path.