[cfe-dev] Clang builds a working Linux Kernel (Boots to RL5 with SMP, networking and X, self hosts)

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Oct 25 10:13:29 PDT 2010

On Oct 24, 2010, at 11:28 PM, Bryce Lelbach wrote:

> Clang can now compile a functional Linux Kernel (version 2.6.36, SMP).

Very cool!

> I'm going to try to clean up some of my modifications to Clang (mostly hacks in
> CodeGen stuff, local labels (not 100% done yet), explicit register variables,
> a more complete implementation of GNU inline assembly constraints). Some of my
> changes implement the sort of cryptic GNUtensions that I sense most Clang devs
> would find distasteful (I haven't added support for anything explicitly stated
> as unsupported on the clang website).

We do have the -fheinous-gnu-extensions option, if we are forced to implement something in Clang that is exceedingly tasteless.

I don't know much about the Linux kernel community, but I've found that many other projects have been very receptive to fixes that get their code building with Clang.

	- Doug