[cfe-dev] confusion with character types

Bruce Stephens bruce.r.stephens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 07:47:44 PDT 2010

Jochen Wilhelmy <j.wilhelmy-KvP5wT2u2U0 at public.gmane.org> writes:

[...]

> The grandfathers of c would have done better having
> char, byte and unsigned byte instead (for example)

Probably, though actually I find it most annoying that different
libraries use char and unsigned char to represent a raw byte, so I'm not
sure that having a separate byte and unsigned byte would simplify
things.  I agree there's possibly a case for 8-bit integral types
("short short", maybe).

[...]

> And perhaps it is possible to influence the handling of char types for
> standard streams by some traits.

Possibly.