[cfe-dev] [Bulk] Re: clang PCH and strace

Sebastian Redl sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at
Fri Oct 1 11:11:40 PDT 2010

On Oct 1, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

> I was assuming --- apparently incorrectly --- a single shell with no
> intervening command that changes PATH. With a different shell, all
> bets are off. The other shell could be on a completely different
> machine, for instance.

It doesn't have to be. If in your current shell you have set PATH, but haven't exported it, then the command 'clang' would look in the PATH you have set, but 'strace clang' would look for strace in the PATH you have set, but strace wouldn't inherit that PATH, so it would fall back to the system default.

Sebastian