[cfe-dev] Proposal: CUDA support; outline, initial patches

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:05:49 PST 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:23:44 +0000
Owen Shepherd <owen.shepherd at e43.eu> wrote:

> On 21 Nov 2010, at 11:28, C. Bergström wrote:
> > OvermindDL1 wrote:
> >> Why not OpenCL as more people can actually run it and on far more
> >> devices?
> >>
> > If you have to ask then you're likely out of touch with GPGPU usage
> > trends....  (Basically there's a lot more people using CUDA and a
> > lot more CUDA code out there..)
>
> But this raises an interesting question: If we can build an AST from
> CUDA source, is there any reason we cannot build OpenCL code from
> that?

If it is possible to do that then it could also help port projects from
CUDA to OpenCL (assuming the output is human readable).

But in either case, you may want to make sure that the LLVM IR you are
generating from CUDA code, will be compatible with what Mesa's clover
will eventually generate, or can use.
I lost track on what IR Mesa will standardise on (is it TGSI,
Mesa-IR, GLSL2 IR, or LLVM IR?), you should probably ask that on the
Mesa list.

Best regards,
--Edwin