[cfe-dev] Patch: Find gcc-4.4.4 on Gentoo

Bertjan Broeksema broeksema at kde.org
Tue Nov 16 00:31:18 PST 2010

Rafael EspĂ­ndola wrote:

>> I think we maybe have 2 approach:
>>
>> 1. Use a config file
>> This file can be generated by compile time, and updated at any time.
>>
>> 2. Found path at run time
>> For example, gcc can generate such verbose output:
>
> We already have support for configure options for setting this. Adding
> support for figuring out the correct values from the host compiler
> would be a very nice improvement.

Yes, I noticed that Gentoo has a use flag for this, which if enabled (not
the default) indeed uses the correct path as well. But as said, it wasn't
the default and IMO the default configuration should work as well.

> For now I think this patch is OK (assuming this is a common gentoo
> configuration...).

It is a common configuration yes. And indeed, getting the correct values
from the host compiler might be nice, but in the end it doesn't differ
that much from the current situation. I.e. you'll need (slightly)
different calls to compiler executables and output parsing for each
different compiler (though, probably a lot less as you don't need a new
method for each compiler version, most likely).

Anyhow, I don't have commit rights, so if somebody who has can commit...
I'd appreciate.

--
Cheers,

Bertjan