[cfe-dev] C++ to Python Project Proposal

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 5 15:12:55 PDT 2010

On 11/05/2010 05:54 PM, Luc Bourhis wrote:

> Clang opens immense opportunities here. Not only to solve that problem but also to revolutionise the subject. A compiler could be built that would on the one hand compile the C++ code as usual, and on the other hand read some special #pragmas or special instructions in comments and then build in memory the Python binding code, and then compile it on the flag, and link it into a shared library.

While I agree with the overal message here, I think requiring the
original source code itself to be annotated (either in comments or
pragmas or something else) is the wrong way to approach this. (OpenC++
went down that road...)
IMO it's best to keep the mapping instructions separate from the code
that is to be mapped. (And it is these instructions that I was referring
to as ideally being scripted.)

FWIW,
         Stefan