[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] New libc++ LLVM Subproject

Trevor Harmon Trevor.W.Harmon at nasa.gov
Wed May 12 11:43:34 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 10:26 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> In any case, questioning motives is not particularly interesting or
> useful.  If you're not interested in contributing to libc++... then
> don't!  I'm not particularly interested in discussing why we didn't
> use libstdc++ any more than the apache libcxx, or many other
> alternative libraries (most of which are stale/abandoned and have
> serious technical problems).

I don't think anyone is "questioning" motives. Just trying to
understand them. Your blog post says you're looking forward to
contributions from the community, but those who cannot see the
motivation for the project will be unlikely to contribute to it. A
deeper discussion of libc++'s design goals/motives, and how these
compare to competing projects, should encourage more people to get on
board. (For example, something analogous to your ACAT 2008 slides, in
which you motivated the need for a new compiler, would be nice to see.)

Trevor