[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] New libc++ LLVM Subproject

David Greene dag at cray.com
Wed May 12 09:37:30 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 11:20:20 David Chisnall wrote:
> On 12 May 2010, at 14:57, David Greene wrote:
> > I simply don't see or don't understand that libstdc++ has a similar
> > level of "closedness."
>
> Recent versions of libstdc++ are GPLv3 + runtime exemption.  Te exemption
> means that the license is completely irrelevant for anyone using or linking
> against the library, but it is still an issue when you are distributing the
> code.

How so?  What's the issue?  What additional restrictions are put on the
distributor?  If you ship libstdc++ you have to include the source code,
whether it's GPLv2 or GPLv3.  Is it the anti-Tivoization thing that's a
problem?  I could see that being an issue for things like the iPhone.

Just trying to understand the implications...

                                  -Dave