[cfe-dev] Trouble building libc++

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Wed May 12 07:25:32 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Howard Hinnant <hhinnant at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 11, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>
> > On 05/11/2010 08:59 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
> >> Internally, we have factored that code out of libstdc++ (this is
> >> largely code that lives in "libsup++") into a library currently
> >> called libc++abi.dylib.
> >
> > What's the harm in putting that source in llvm svn also?
>
> For the current time, Apple is going to maintain ABI compatibility of some
> low-level bits between libstdc++ and libc++.  This is so that clients can
> create applications that link to disparate dynamic libraries, some which use
> libstdc++, some which use libc++, and still be able to function with
> exceptions being thrown across dylib boundaries and one somebody replacing
> operator new.
>
> With this in mind, it makes sense for us to separate out the ABI stable
> bits into a 3rd lib which serves an ABI (but not necessarily an API) to both
> libstdc++ and libc++.  As Chris mentioned, this is essentially gcc's
> libsup++.
>
> -Howard

C++ not specifying an ABI has been quite a pain in the past for me as a
professional software developer.  Different versions of gcc wouldn't even
work. I believe an ABI was specified for Itanium by the CodeSourcery folks,
but I don't know that anyone ever tried to nail this down for AMD64 or IA32.

Dave