[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] New libc++ LLVM Subproject

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue May 11 22:18:23 PDT 2010

<removing llvm-dev, no need to spam both lists>

On May 11, 2010, at 9:47 PM, David Greene wrote:
>>> What's driving libc++?
>>
>> The possibility of being a superior solution.
>
> Ok, but could that be done by improving libstdc++?

We have no interest in touching libstdc++, both because of its license, but also because a clean rewrite brings a number of advantages.  This is not the first C++ standard library Howard has written, and he is definitely guru-level in his abilities. :)

Also, we don't claim that libc++ is ready for use today (like you said, debug mode is a clear missing feature).  However, libc++ does already provide a number of advantages over libstdc++, and will continue to improve.  If you are more interested in improving libstdc++ than libc++, you are welcome to go do so :)

-Chris