[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] New libc++ LLVM Subproject

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Tue May 11 18:32:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Andrew Sutton <andrew.n.sutton at gmail.com>wrote:

> > What's driving libc++?
>>
>> The possibility of being a superior solution.
>>

> I thought "to support Apple applications" from the previous post was
> sufficient motivation :) Either way, I'm excited about a new library. Plus,
> it looks a little easier to read (from the tiny amount of code that I've
> looked at).

Just two throw 2 more motivators in...

Sometimes to re-implement after learning from work done before by others is
a reason to try it in itself.  Also a lot of LLVM is C++ isn't it?  Wouldn't
it be nice if it were 100% self hosting at some point?  (I think so.)

Not having to depend on anyone else to make your stuff work is, well,
liberating.

Dave

>> libc++:
>>
>> 5 seconds
>>
>> libstdc++:
>>
>> 22 seconds
>>
>> (smaller is better)
>>

> Is this libstdc++ with or without rvalue references?

How about compile times?  Having used Go a bit, I've been quite fond of how
short the code, compile, test loop ends up being.

Dave