[cfe-dev] New libc++ LLVM Subproject

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Tue May 11 15:05:20 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Ivan Sorokin wrote:

> Why do you create new library? Why do not use libstdc++?

I have a lot of respect for libstdc++ and for all of those who have worked on it over the years.  I've tried to build a better library.  Maybe I've succeeded, maybe I haven't (most likely I have in some places and not in others).  I do know that no parts would be better if I did not try.

I'll also openly state that this library has been targeted straight at Apple's platforms (for the benefit of Apple's customers).  That being said, most of the library is portable.  We feel that others may benefit from the generous open source license for this library.

-Howard