[cfe-dev] Summer of Code ideas

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Mon Mar 22 17:46:22 PDT 2010

> 1. Implement nesC support. nesC (which stands for "Networked Embedded
> Systems C") is a dialect of the C language.

The problem is that one of the main TinyOS targets, AVR, has no LLVM
backend.  The other main target, MSP430, has a backend that is slowly
becoming useful but doesn't quite work yet.

Maybe an AVR backend would be a better project?

Also, I'm not convinced that compiling via C is a problem for nesC.  For
some languages, there is substantial lost efficiency, but most of nesC is
syntactically and semantically identical to C so there's little or no
impedance mismatch.

John Regehr