[cfe-dev] unknown type name __thiscall

Stephen Deken stephen.deken at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:28:26 PDT 2010

Hello list,

I'm getting strange errors emitted by clang++ on Windows 7 (built
using Visual Studio 9 from trunk) when attempting to compile C++ code
that includes the VC9 headers:

cfetest.cpp:

	#include <iostream>
	using namespace std;
	int main( int, char** ) {
		cout <<"hello world!" <<endl;
		return 0;
	}

This emits 122 errors.  Some are about __thiscall, which clang/clang++
apparently doesn't define, others are related to MS-specific
extensions such as __is_base_of, or improper typedefs within
templates, or delete[]ing void pointers, etc.

Basically, it's rubbish :)

I didn't expect it to be able to emit code (I'm only really interested
in the semantic analysis), but I can't do that if the system headers
barf errors all over the place.  Am I doing something wrong with my
setup, or is it expected that trying to use Visual Studio's C++
headers is a Bad Idea?

Thanks,

--
Stephen Deken