[cfe-dev] Source code documentation

Stefan Seefeld stefan.seefeld at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:55:39 PST 2010

On 03/09/2010 04:42 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>> Yes. At present the parser attaches comments to the next declaration it finds, from where Synopsis then picks it up to process it further (extract processing instructions, documentation, whatever).
>>
> Okay. We don't really have this functionality in Clang yet. Comments are passed through to the AST consumer, and we have a hack that tries to find the comment associated with a declaration after the fact, but this will need work.

OK.

>> Also, in one mode of operation Synopsis wants to get a position-correct picture of the entire preprocessed source file, so it can generate a hyperlinked and otherwise styled version of it. Does CLang provide this level of detail ?
>>

> Internally, yes. There isn't enough information exposed via the CIndex interface to do this (but I'd support extending CIndex in this direction).

OK. Without knowing CIndex, I'm not sure how useful it is to support
such different levels of details through the same representation. For
example, to generate a hyperlinked source tree, I'd operate on something
close to the parse tree, i.e. individual tokens.

But for the documentation, a much more high-level view is useful, such
as a syntax tree or even a semantic graph.

Do you think all of those will be represented by CIndex, eventually ?

Thanks,
         Stefan