[cfe-dev] Source code documentation

Stefan Seefeld stefan.seefeld at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 05:56:26 PST 2010

Hello,

I have been watching the CLang project for a while, as I'm interested in
using it for my own project. I'm developing Synopsis
(http://synopsis.fresco.org), which started as a multi-language code
documentation tool, but became actually quite a bit more powerful.

Synopsis is a very modular tool, written in Python, which loads
different parsers (Python, IDL, C, C++) to generate an internal
representation (parse tree, semantic graph, etc.), which then is further
transformed or processed, such as into API documentation, or even new
source code.

I'd be very interested in using CLang as parser backend for C and C++,
and possibly even more for AST transformations (such as code generation).

I read on http://clang.llvm.org/OpenProjects.html that there are plans
to write a code documentation tool based on CLang, so I'd like to know
whether any such work has already started, so as to avoid duplicating
effort.

Also, would anybody be interested in bindings between Synopsis and
CLang, even to the point of - gasp - helping ? :-)

Thanks,
         Stefan