[cfe-dev] LTO on FreeBSD

SKL skl at simplekindalife.com
Wed Jun 30 07:58:34 PDT 2010

>> What about llvm-ld? Should it not be useable as a linker on FreeBSD?
>
> llvm-ld is half-baked at best, it doesn't know a lot of options that your system linker does.  It may work for simple things, but probably not for largish real world programs.

Ah, I had been curious about this as well. Is the long-term goal for llvm-ld to be a full drop-in replacement for the system linker?

So, my original assumption that the OS X clang is using ld with the gold plugins was correct? If so, I'm curious where it's hidden away. I see a lot of libLLVMContainer.dylib files under the /Developer tree, but no files relating to "gold" anywhere.

It sounds like my only option on the FreeBSD side is to try and compile the llvm gold plugins. I've pulled down the cvs source and will try my hand at compiling it. Has anyone had any luck with compiling this package under FreeBSD or will I have to resign myself to a lot of hand-tweaking?

As there's some talk of migrating over to clang in the long-term, I'd be interested to see if/how the FreeBSD folks are planning to implement LTO without using any GNU code.

Thanks for all the helpful info!
-SK