[cfe-dev] Symbolic Extents

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Mon Jun 28 19:14:23 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 7:00 PM, Zhongxing Xu wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> I really like the design. It's clean and general enough to leverage
> the smart classes SValuator and ConstraintManger.
>
> One premise I want to point out is that this requires the constraint
> manager to reason about constraints involving two symbols. It's not
> enough to keep relations between symbols and integer ranges,

It should be able to handle tracking whether an extent is within some constant range, which is no less powerful than what we have now (actually it's more powerful).

> but also
> the relations between symbols, like $x == $y. So the current
> constraint manager is not smart enough for this.

Exactly, but it's no less powerful than what we already had for extents, and opens the door to do it correctly once the ConstraintManager can handle constraints between symbols.