[cfe-dev] ObjectiveC on Windows using the Apple Obj C runtime

Jim Crafton jim.crafton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 06:25:17 PST 2010

> The current Apple's objc runtime is maybe better than the old GNU one, but I
> don't think it will give you more than the GNU objc2 runtime but troubles.
> Trying to use the Apple runtime outside of the Apple world is not
> recommended and not supported at all. The ObjC runtime is Open source but it
> heavily relies on Foundation to set it up.
> Without the Apple's Foundation, critical part of the runtime will not work
> properly.
> -- Jean-Daniel

Well all I want is just the minimal bare bones Objective C language
support. I have no interest in using Apple's Foundation, AppKit, or
any other Cocoa frameworks. I just wanted a basic Objective C
implementation that can be compiled and used with a Microsoft
toolchain. The rest I'd be more than happy to build myself, again more
as an interesting exercise than anything practical.

Cheers

Jim