[cfe-dev] Patch to allow comment translators implementation

Abramo Bagnara abramo.bagnara at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 01:08:24 PST 2010

Il 19/01/2010 02:37, Abramo Bagnara ha scritto:

>>> This part of the patch is strictly related to the others: the way for
>>> CommentHandler to push tokens is to call EnterTokenStream and this
>>> method add a TokenLexer (that was ignored by SkipExcludedConditionalBlock)
>>>
>>> Without this part of the patch the pushed tokens related to comments
>>> found inside skipped conditional block are not read until return from
>>> Preprocessor::SkipExcludedConditionalBlock and this is clearly unwanted.
>>
>> I don't see that. According to C, the contents of #if 0 blocks are
>> *completely* skipped and may not even be syntactically valid. Using
>> openmp as an example, it would be perfectly find to have completely
>> malformed openmp comments in #if 0 blocks.
>
> Perhaps I've explained badly, please follow this example:
>
> #if 0
> /* openmp comments */
> int a;
> #endif
>
> The preprocessor see the #if 0 directive and then enter
> SkipExcludedConditionalBlock where the lexing proceed.
>
> When we lex the comment the CommentHandler is invoked and it push some
> tokens using EnterTokenStream (i.e. setting CurTokenLexer), but none of
> this tokens is read by SkipExcludedConditionalBlock (without the patch
> you've discarded).
>
> This means that when SkipExcludedConditionalBlock returns and normal
> lexing proceed the Preprocessor will read the tokens previously inserted
> in the bad context i.e. after the #endif.
>
>> #if 0 skipping is also performance sensitive.

There are a few alternatives wrt to apply the missing part of the
original patch:

1) do not call comment handlers when skipping excluded conditional block

2) have a way inside comment handlers to know that we are inside an
excluded conditional block (so to avoid to call EnterTokenStream)

I think that 2) is better as it is more flexyble.

--
Abramo Bagnara

Opera Unica                          Phone: +39.0546.656023
Via Borghesi, 16
48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy