[cfe-dev] Intrinsic/Custom Function Creation with Pragmas

Prakash Prabhu prakash.prabhu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 14:36:31 PST 2010

Hi Doug,

One last question (hopefully this is the last bit of change to the frontend
before I move on to the LLVM backend :)). The problem is to specify abstract
Lock conditions using #pragmas as below and have them be translated in C
functions that return an int:

An abstract lock condition could be specified as follows:

#pragma AbstractLockCondn(AbstractLockName(param1, param2, ...), (<C
expression involving params>))

As an example, this is a way by which one could say that a abstract lock L1
is conditioned on variables x and y, where x and y are variables:

#pragma AbstractLockCondn(L1(x,y), (x>y))

What I would like to do is to create a function like the following:

int __L1_Test__(<type of x> x, <type of y> y)
{
  return (x>y);
}

Basically, I can write a #pragma handler in ParsePragma.cpp which will parse
the parameters 1 to n. Much as I would like to invoke the Clang Parser for
parsing the C expression and returning a AST node (root of expression tree)
for the expression, I am doubtful if that is possible:

I will not know the type of the parameters until I see their use sites, at
which point I will look up the types of the variables in the declaration
context having the use sites. So I can't expand the macro at the point where
it is parsed. What I can do at this point, is to push this information into
Sema object.

However, I would know the types at the end of the translation unit at which
point I could potentially generate a function declaration in string and if
possible, insert it into the Preprocessor/TokenLexer stream and then invoke
the parser for parsing this newly generated function. Is this insertion into
the preprocessor/TokenLexer stream possible ? Specifically just before the
call to Actions.ActOnEndOfTranslationUnit() in
Parser::ParseTopLevelDecl(DeclGroupPtrTy &Result), if I can insert the
generated function & its body into the TokenLexer and have the parser
process it by calling ParseExternalDeclaration(). So my question is: Is it
possible to insert the string containing the function body into
token/preprocessor stream and have the parser automatically handle it as if
it were a function defined by the programmer ?

Thanks for your time!

- Prakash