[cfe-dev] error: initialized if it is a static const integral data member

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Fri Feb 19 09:14:30 PST 2010

On 19.02.2010, at 18:07, Cédric Venet wrote:

> Le 19/02/2010 17:41, Rene Rebe a écrit :

>>> Or they are treating it like an out-of-class initializer. It's hard to tell.
>>>
>>> But the code is clearly wrong, and Clang is right to diagnose it.
>>>

>> I did not mean to remove the diagnostic, but make it a warning. Personally I find those arbitrary and artificial C++ limitations just annoying. We certainly can not expect the world's source code to be rewritten to match clang's liking when other compiler accept the code.
>>
>> René
>>

> Not all compiler accept this code (i.e. MSVC). It is a good things that by default, clang try to be as standard compliant as possible. You can always have/use a dialect gnu-c++ if you want to use some extension but it decrease the portability of the code.

Currently I just want to check the state of Clang++ and AFAICS there is currently no option to compile this kind of code anyway.

Given that even the latest GCC-4.4.x does not even warn about it at -Wall or -Wextra, only at -pedantic I'd not be surprised to see it in wide use. It's certainly not that technologically challenging to initialize a static const float or double, ...

--
  René Rebe, ExactCODE GmbH, Jaegerstr. 67, DE-10117 Berlin
  http://exactcode.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.name