[cfe-dev] Problems with building cmake and llvm using Visual studio 2008

kalyan ponnala ponnala.kalyan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 20:00:10 PST 2010

Hello folks,
I am trying to build llvm/clang using cmake gui on visual studio 2008 in
windows vista 64-bit. I tried these following steps and I cant figure out
whats going wrong with the build.
Steps:
1:Checkout llvm and clang using visual svn command prompt.

2: open cmake-gui
   select llvm source
   select llvm build directory. make it seperate \build
   hit configure.
   select visual studio 2008 x64 and hit configure again and say generate.
    For cmake it could not find the asm masm assemble and it could not find
some ".h" extension files. But the
    solution was generated anyhow.
2. open start - programs - visual studio 2008 - command prompt of visual
studio - right click on command prompt in  the start programs itself and
click "run as administrator"- enter
   type devenv /ResetSkipPkgs - enter
   This should open vs package and you can open your project as
administrator.
3. Set the environment path to point to the Debug directory in llvm. this is
done by:
   right-clicking my computer and selecting properties and clicking
"Advanced system setting" and
   going to "environmental variables" and selecting "path" from the system
variables and clicking on edit
   and adding C:\Users\Kalyan\llvm\build\bin\debug to the path variable.
4. Go to the llvm solution file and right click on ALLBUILD and click build.
The errors are in this way:

Linking...
71>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
'..\..\lib\Debug\LLVMX86CodeGen.lib'
Linking...
80>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
'..\..\lib\Debug\LLVMX86CodeGen.lib'

this shows up several times. And the build fails.
Could you please tell me how to fix this error.

Thanks beforehand.

--
Kalyan Ponnala
phone: 8163772059