[cfe-dev] [libcxx] Handling multi-platform configuration.

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sun Dec 12 16:42:05 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 7:20 PM, C. Bergström wrote:

> Michael Spencer wrote:
>> I recently started porting libc++ over to MinGW and have discovered
>> just how complicated configuration is going to be. Even ignoring
>> locale, there are huge differences in support and style between MinGW,
>> the Microsoft C Runtime, POSIX.1-2008 (IEEE Std 1003.1™-2008 (The Open
>> Group Technical Standard Base Specifications, Issue 7)), and all the
>> other platforms out there. For example, the version of cerrno I came
>> up with (attached) that is standard compliant is about 800 lines long
>> just to properly deal with all the errno.h macros that aren't in the C
>> standard and various platforms don't define, but C++0x requires. This
>> is simple compared to some of the other configuration issues we have
>> to deal with, like locale.
>>
> Hi Michael,
>
> This is *exactly* why it would be greatly appreciated if people would
> help improve stdcxx [1] instead of trying to just write everything from
> scratch.  Regardless whatever superficial evaluation has been done I'd
> kindly ask any volunteers to reevaluate this.

Hi Guys,

While I appreciate the professionalism in your approach, the stdcxx library is off-topic here. No one wishes anything bad to happen to stdcxx and there is certainly room for multiple library implementations.  However, that is independent of the future of libc++, and Michael's patches seem like a great step forward.  Discussion about one vs the other can happen on a generic c++ forum.

-Chris