[cfe-dev] [libcxx] Handling multi-platform configuration.

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Fri Dec 10 19:20:23 PST 2010

Michael Spencer wrote:
> I recently started porting libc++ over to MinGW and have discovered
> just how complicated configuration is going to be. Even ignoring
> locale, there are huge differences in support and style between MinGW,
> the Microsoft C Runtime, POSIX.1-2008 (IEEE Std 1003.1™-2008 (The Open
> Group Technical Standard Base Specifications, Issue 7)), and all the
> other platforms out there. For example, the version of cerrno I came
> up with (attached) that is standard compliant is about 800 lines long
> just to properly deal with all the errno.h macros that aren't in the C
> standard and various platforms don't define, but C++0x requires. This
> is simple compared to some of the other configuration issues we have
> to deal with, like locale.

Hi Michael,

This is *exactly* why it would be greatly appreciated if people would
help improve stdcxx [1] instead of trying to just write everything from
scratch.  Regardless whatever superficial evaluation has been done I'd
kindly ask any volunteers to reevaluate this.

Martin, on cc, who worked on this codebase for 10 years and is on the
C++ standards committee can chime in if he likes.

(Apologies for not being able to help contribute a direct solution to
your above problem.)

Best,

./C

[1] http://stdcxx.apache.org/