[cfe-dev] Living on Clang

John Freeman jfreeman at cse.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 29 12:10:54 PDT 2010

On 4/14/2010 3:51 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
> Helping is easy: just build Clang on your platform and start using it as your main compiler for LLVM and Clang development.

I took your suggestion, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

I did not quite understand how to add my own system header paths to the
hard-coded paths in clang/lib/Frontend/InitHeaderSearch.cpp (my attempt
failed to solve the problem), so I ended up having to create a link from
/usr/include/stdarg.h to
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/include/stdarg.h so that
<iostream> would compile.

In my latest small project (51 headers, 14 sources so far), Clang was
able to compile every source, some of which included templates, except
for the ones that instantiated
boost::uuids::string_generator::operator() (Boost.Uuid is a new library
in version 1.42). However, GCC was able to compile those sources and
successfully link the resulting objects with the Clang-built objects.

Knowing where Clang has come from, I am impressed with the progress! I'm
looking forward to the day I can completely switch over. :)

- John