[cfe-dev] Storing the NoReturn attribute in Decl nodes.

Enea Zaffanella zaffanella at cs.unipr.it
Tue Apr 27 09:30:32 PDT 2010

Hello.

As we are using clang as a base for a source-code based tool, one of our
goals is to be able to obtain an AST faithfully representing the
original source code.

Among other things, we would like to have a precise description of the
set of attributes adorning declarations, as well as the specific syntax
(gnu, cxx0x, microsoft, ...) used to specify them. One simple option to
encode this syntax-kind info would be to add a bitfield to the Attr base
class: this will require no additional memory, since Attr already has a
bitfield of length 1 (Inherited).

However, we just discovered that, e.g., attribute NoReturn is not stored
as usual in the list of attributes of the corresponding declaration, but
  it will rather end up in the FunctionType node, encoded as a single
bit. This would prevent our tool from distinguishing, e.g., between
    void p [[ noreturn ]] ();
and
    void p() __attribute__ ((__noreturn__));

Similarly, having it in the FunctionType probably means that there will
be no Inherited bitfield to query, so that we would not be able to know
if the attribute was written in this very declaration or in a previous
declaration of the same function.

Would it be acceptable if clang (also) adds this attribute to the list
of attributes of the corresponding declaration, so that it could be
queried like all other attributes?

Note the we are NOT suggesting modification to FunctionType nodes, which
will still encode the noreturn bit for any semantic reasoning; we are
just asking to add some additional syntactic info where it belongs (the
attributes of the Decl node).

As an alternative, if you do not want to place it in the Decl node, it
might be possible to store the NoReturnAttr node in the TypeSourceInfo.
However, this seems to be an unnecessary complication.

Regards,
Enea Zaffanella.