[cfe-dev] Attributes on statements and expressions

Olaf Krzikalla Olaf.Krzikalla at tu-dresden.de
Mon Apr 26 00:40:13 PDT 2010

Trevor,

Sean and me talked about the topic two weeks ago on the list. It is a
good idea to have attributes as defined in the upcoming C++ standard in
mind while implementing that feature in clang.

> The clients would typically be static analysis tools such as:

IMHO one thing that will be solved using attributes in the future is a
"parfor" construct.

> I would like to begin work on a patch that implements this feature in
> Clang. The first order of business is to decide how the attributes
> would look in the user source code. One approach is to retain the
> existing GCC __attribute__ syntax and simply allow the __attribute__
> token to appear on statements and expressions.
To be honest I don't like the GCC syntax and - given an proposal already
accepted for standardization - I wouldn't bother implementing it but go
straight for the new [[attribute]] syntax.

Best regards
Olaf Krzikalla