[cfe-dev] Fast enumeration extension proposal

Blaine Garst blaine at apple.com
Sat Apr 3 17:32:16 PDT 2010

Just some quick feedback.

The Fast Enumeration protocol was directly driven by the need to simplify and improve access to the dominant-by-choice "collection" in Cocoa: the NSArray.  We built it to be blindingly fast.  And yet we also built in knowledge of particular protocols, which have Cocoa expression instead of ObjC, so its slightly sullied from a language viewpoint in that the ObjC protocol isn't widely used, but a Cocoa equivalent is.

The issue with extending the existing protocol, as you propose, is that there are an arbitrary number of extensions possible, and each would require adoption by appropriate classes.  Protocols are much heavier than method with blocks, and so we like the lighter weight on principle.

Blocks are very efficient, but they do require a function call cost per item which, well, can be a lot depending on the application.

Ripping through unichars would seem like possibly something done so often, and with somewhat tricky API, to warrant special treatment, as you suggest.  However, unichars aren't what you think they are, in that several unichars are needed to represent some concepts, there are sex-change markers, etc. and hence the very studied complexity of the NSString implementation.  So I honestly think your proposal would run into conceptual difficulties if presented within Apple's Cocoa engineering team, as an Apple Developer sonar request.  This forum is not suitable for those discussions.

Other suggestions for extensions to NSFastEnumeration have been to rip through language arrays, for example.  This is wonderful if array size information is available to the compiler, which on occasion it is, then formal language treatment offers a significantly better programmer experience since it reduces or eliminates bounds errors.  Supplying bounds by hand offers no language benefit other than a fancy syntax to distinguish a special use case - not really interesting.  However, more on the for ( int a in intarray) line of thinking without the need for new protocols is interesting. That might, in fact, meet your criteria.

Since this is a quick reply there is of course the possibility I haven't thought deeply enough about your suggestion, so please feel free to sign up as a developer and continue to argue your case some more when it involves Cocoa.

Blaine