[cfe-dev] clang packaging question

Michel Alexandre Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 00:05:27 PDT 2009

Hello,

clang will be shipped with Fedora's Linux distribution as of version
12, which is scheduled for release in a couple of months.

With that in mind, I have a couple of questions regarding packaging.
Our preliminary packaging has llvm-clang containing the files that are
installed by default, and llvm-clang-analyzer containing files
corresponding to the binary checker release posted on
clang-analyzer.llvm.org.

1. Noting that clang and clang-cc can currently operate without LLVM
installed, would it be better to have the llvm-clang package depend on
llvm or not?
2. The clang binary's emit-llvm mode currently only works if -S is
also supplied; would it eventually automatically invoke the
appropriate LLVM tools (as per the clang-cc examples)? In which case,
the answer to (1) is obvious.
3. Does the Clang team have any preference w.r.t. package naming? e.g.
  -- llvm-clang or just clang
  -- llvm-clang-analyzer, clang-analyzer, or llvm-checker

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim