[cfe-dev] Install circumvented with NO_INSTALL

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Wed Oct 7 09:44:34 PDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 7:31 AM, Simone Pellegrini wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am trying to compile and use the latest pre-release-2 of llvm-2.6
> but
> now the default behaviour of the Makefile is to DO NOT install clang
> libraries. :(

We don't currently install Clang libraries (or headers) because, at
the time that we wrote the makefiles, we didn't consider them stable
enough for external tools to be built on them. However, the interfaces
are probably "stable enough" now (by LLVM's definition of API
stability), that it's reasonable to start installing Clang libraries +
headers.

> How can I enable the generation of clang libraries? I don't see any
> option in the ./configure script.

You would need to remove the

	NO_INSTALL = 1

lines from the Clang library makefiles and add some makefile magic to
install the Clang headers. (Plus, CMake

	- Doug