[cfe-dev] Info diagnostic level

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Sat Nov 21 21:51:44 PST 2009

Hi Victor,

Can you explain a bit more about what you want to do with this?

If you want to return structured information (e.g., progress
information), I'm not sure adding another diagnostic level is the
right approach, since it is too generic and clients won't necessarily
know how to deal with it (from an API level). If it is unstructured,
then we need to clarify what the level means w.r.t. the existing
levels.

The reason I ask is that the driver has some similar issues where it
currently dumps information to stderr (-v, -print-search-dirs, etc).
In theory, I'd like to not have this buried in the Driver library but
let the client have control over it, but I haven't decided how I want
to do this (the obvious approaches are to extend Diagnostics, or use
special diagnostic classes for it, or alternately use a different
callback mechanism).

 - Daniel