[cfe-dev] Info diagnostic level

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Fri Nov 20 09:29:13 PST 2009

On Nov 20, 2009, at 1:11 AM, Victor Zverovich wrote:

> I am actively using the clang's Basic library in my project and in
> particular its diagnostic part which is great.
> However it has the following limitation: it is not possible to
> report an "informational" message which is neither warning nor error
> through it. While clang doesn't need this functionality it may be
> useful for other users (me being one of them :)) without any
> overhead for clang. The attached patch introduces the Info
> diagnostic level.

I'm okay with adding another diagnostic level. Some other compilers
have "remarks"; I'd slightly prefer that name over "info". However, to
include your patch in Clang we need to fully integrate this new kind
of diagnostic. In addition to adding an enumerator to Level, we need
to answer a few questions:

   - How do all of the existing diagnostic clients format infos/remarks?
   - Are infos/remarks counted in the diagnostic count?
   - How do infos/remarks behave w.r.t. -Werror?

	- Doug