[cfe-dev] "vector" type, PS3 targets

John Thompson john.thompson.jtsoftware at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:41:02 PST 2009

Hi,

I thought I'd to some preliminary work to see what issues I'd run into
trying to compile some sources intented for the PS3 PPU target.  The PS3
devkit includes a gcc-based compiler, so I'm thinking that would make it a
bit easier.

Although there is a -faltivec option, it appears that there is no support
yet for the "vector" type (or is it really "__vector", or perhaps a built-in
alias?).  I don't know much about this, so I was wondering if someone out
there could say something about it with respect to plans for it in clang.

I suppose that in addition to the vector type, this would also involve all
the "__builtin_vec-*" functions, but not having the vector type used in the
altivec.h include file was the first thing I ran into.
I've enclosed some initial work for the targets, in ps3targets.patch.  This
depends on changes to the Triple class in ps3triple.patch, which I've
submitted seperately to the llvmdev list.  The gcc-based compiler in the PS3
devkit uses the the "ppu-uknown-lv2" and "spu-unknown-lv2" triples, so these
changes do the same.  I don't know why there isn't a "ps3" in there
somewhere, but it probably should be the same in both compilers.

Thanks.

-John

--
John Thompson