[cfe-dev] building clang outside the LLVM source tree

Y Giridhar Appaji Nag giridhar at appaji.net
Sat May 23 07:09:38 PDT 2009

Hi,

I intend to build clang packages for Debian.  I understand that clang should
be built alongside LLVM because clang is a moving target right now, however, I
intend to build at a 'point-in-time' i.e.  the same version of clang that was
tagged when LLVM was last released.

I have a few questions:

- Is it possible to build clang outside the LLVM source tree?  i.e. I have a
  version of LLVM installed somewhere and I would like to use the headers and
  the libraries that were installed.  My guess is that llvm-config has been
  provided for doing this.

- To do the above, do I have to craft my own build system?  I poked around and
  got a feeling that the clang build system depends on a 'source' location of
  LLVM, and clang is expected to be somewhere in the same source tree as LLVM.

These Debian packages are for the Debian 'experimental' distribution (because
clang hasn't been officially released yet) but a few days after uploading to
experimental, people using Debian unstable and testing will likely be able to
use unmodified binary packages.

Also, the current plan is to create the following binary packages from the
clang source:

clang - will have the driver and other programs
clang-dev - the headers and static libraries
clang-doc - the documentation

In a situation like this, I would've ideally created a clang-lib package also
with shared libraries.  But I intend to do that only when clang is released
officially.  Please do let me know if this sounds reasonable.

Regards,

Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://appaji.net/