[cfe-dev] recent versions failing to catch omitted releases?

Gary Boone gary.boone at gmail.com
Sun May 17 11:21:14 PDT 2009

It seems like the last working version I have (0.195) no longer
catches release leaks. Here's how I test:

1. pick an synthesized instance variable, eg:

	GraphOverlayView	*selectionView;

	@property (nonatomic, retain)	GraphOverlayView	*selectionView;

	@synthesize	selectionView;

In this object's dealloc, comment out the variable's release:

	- (void)dealloc {
	//	[selectionView release];
	}

2. If I build with an old version:
	xcodebuild clean; ~/development/checker-0.147/scan-build -k -V
xcodebuild

the missing release is detected:

	missing ivar release (leak)

3. But if I build with a recent version (0.195)
	xcodebuild clean; ~/development/checker-0.195/scan-build -k -V
xcodebuild

nothing is noted; there's no output that includes the missing release.

Thanks,
Gary