[cfe-dev] Code Transformations and using llvm with clang

George Patsilaras gpatsilaras at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:37:03 PDT 2009

Hello list,

I am new to LLVM and have very limited knowledge on clang so I would to ask some questions.

1st question: Is there anyway to use the clang uninitialized variable detection analysis with a llvm pass? If not, can I write a clang transformation that takes some C code and outputs C code in order to be able to use some of llvm's existing passes?

2nd question:  Part of the project I am working on is to insert a monitor function call in the code. Can anyone point me to an example of such a code transformation using clang?

An example of what I m trying to do is this:

int foo(int y){

int x = 10;

return x;

}

and I would like to transform it to:

int foo(int y){

int x;

monitor (&x);

return x;

}

3rd question: Can clang use passes written for llvm (for example the anderson alias analysis pass)?

I feel like llvm has parts of what I need to use for my project and clang has some more advanced things (uninitialized variable detection) that I would have to implement otherwise in llvm so I am trying to see if there is anyway to combine some of these analysis tools.

Thanks,

George