[cfe-dev] Using clang/LLVM components in conventional apps?

Garrison Venn gvenn.cfe.dev at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 06:38:16 PDT 2009

Although I don't use Xcode for our project (just make), I've been able
to take a production system written in C and compile and test it just
fine both on OS X 10.5.x, and Linux (CentOS 5.2). So far, although I'm
not running this branch in production, I've seen no issues. In
addition I've been able to add block support to this branch of the
code by including a link to compiler-rt (back end support for blocks)
which is available on the LLVM site. For 10.5.x this compile of
compiler-rt worked with just an added make. For Linux I had make small
modifications, mainly ifdefing out OS X headers and including LInux
built atomic builtins. With the caveat that my block testing was
minimal--just have tested closure, it works as advertised. This is a
distributed/clustered system which is heavily threaded, interfaces to
Oracle, 3rd party voice generation libraries, and pbx systems,
(placing phone calls, sending sms, im, and email), and dropping clang
in place of gcc (without block support), just worked. As mentioned
adding block support for 10.5.x also just worked. So I guess my point
is that you should be able to start testing with it now.

Garrison Venn