[cfe-dev] PPC Support

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:19:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Mark Cianciosa<cianci66 at mac.com> wrote:
> I have been following clangs development for a few months now specifically
> tracking powerpc progress and running the clang test suite every so often.
> Right now as I see the clang tests are x86 specific in a few areas so I'm
> not really sure what the policy of testing will be as clang adds more
> support for other platforms. But right now a powerpc complied clang fails 4
> tests.

Try updating to tip?  I just fixed the CodeGen tests, and I think the
issue with the Driver test wasn't a PPC-specific issue.

> Right now I know the clang driver is setup to use gcc instead of clang-cc by
> default on powerpc. At the time this was added there was a bug with the
> -arch option that was causing clang to crash on powerpc. That has since been
> resolved. On my local copy I modified to use clang-cc by default. In my
> limited testing I haven't run across any problems yet. Clang was able to
> successfully compile the cfitsio library (
> http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/fitsio/ ) and the resulting library will
> correctly read fits files. I can also compile and run simple Cocoa
> applications. These codes aren't using any exotic features however but so
> far so good.

Good to hear.  There's still one significant part of the PowerPC
support that's missing in clang (specifically, the ABI
implementation), but I guess the actual PPC Darwin ABI is close enough
to the default implementation that it mostly works without any tweaks.

-Eli