[cfe-dev] AST processing toolbox

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Fri Jun 12 12:37:46 PDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 5:28 AM, AlisdairM(public) wrote:

>> 1. I use boost, in particular boost::bind and boost::function (that
>> is,
>> header only for the moment). Unless there is something similiar in
>> llvm
>> (which I didn't found yet), I won't like to change this. However this
>> would add dependencies to boost and I don't know the opinions of the
>> main developers regarding this issue.
>
> I'm too new around here to know Clang policy wrt the C++ standard
> library,
> but I notice that both the libraries you mention are part of TR1, so
> it
> might be better to use the TR1 names for those components instead?

In general, we would prefer to not suck in pieces of external
libraries unless they significantly add value to the development of
LLVM/Clang.  This is both for portability as well as maintainability.
FWIW, the discussion on adding pieces of Boost to LLVM/Clang has been
discussed before, and unless there is a compelling need to pull in a
specific piece of Boost it is something we won't do for the reasons
I've given.  This has nothing to do with Boost per se; it's really
about keeping the codebase simple and free of unneeded, extraneous
dependencies on other libraries.  Please keep in mind that we've
managed to build an entire working compiler without these libraries.