[cfe-dev] Results of the FreeBSD Ports build with CC=clang

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:23:54 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Ed Schouten<ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
> * Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some of the categories seem off:
>>
>> iaxmodem-1.2.0.log is actually failing because we don't implicitly
>> define sin/cos/etc.
>>
>> cdecl-2.5.log looks like a gnu89 issue.
>>
>> ipsec-tools-0.7.2.log and physfs-2.0.0.log are -Werror issues.
>>
>> For libbgpdump-1.4.99.8.log, it would be more accurate to say that the
>> constant-folder doesn't know how to fold strlen.
>>
>> "Label pointers" should really be "__label__" support.
>
> Yeah, I was just testing you people. Thanks! ;-)

Okay... so, going through the other categories:
Boehm GC: This doesn't look like a clang issue, although I could be wrong.

Nested functions: We aren't going to have these anytime soon.  We
don't have a bug on file; go ahead and file it if you feel like it,
though.

Register binding: The uses here look idiotic; I'd suggest patching the
source.  We probably will support it at some point, though.  This is
PR3933.

__label__ support: This shouldn't be too hard to fix.  This is PR3429.

alloca(): I just fixed this.

Implicit definitions of sin/cos: I just fixed this.

-Werror: The errors involving %m are PR4142.  The others look like
legitimate warnings; they're asking for it by using -Werror :)

--signed-char: The ability to use a signed character type is available
to the AST, but it isn't exposed in a way that can be easily added as
a command-line option.  I'm not entirely sure how we want to implement
this.  Please file a bug to keep track of this.

--shared: I just fixed this.

-rpath/--no-undefined: These appear to be platform-specific options;
do we have a policy about those at the moment?

-I-: We're not intending to support this; please patch the packages.

-O4: You could patch the packages, although I'm slightly hesitant to
suggest that... anyone have any better suggestions?

Constant folder doesn't support strlen(): This is kind of nasty... I'm
strongly tempted to classify it into the category of "things we will
not support".  Fixing it is really simple: change the relevant line to
'static char asn_str[sizeof("65535.65535")];'.

Variable array size in structure: We're not intending to support this;
please patch the package.

Preprocessor varargs macros without ##: I'm not sure what the issue is
here... could you reduce it and file a bug?

noreturn: I think this got fixed recently.

PR4225: I have no clue how hard this is to fix.

PR4290: Not sure how to go about fixing this; I'll discuss it in the bug.

I also tried looking at a few of the Unknown; only able to figure out one:
argp-standalone-1.3.log: Looks like a gnu89 issue, although we don't
actually support the construct in question currently.

-Eli