[cfe-dev] Unneeded declarations invalidation

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Tue Jul 21 13:11:30 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Douglas Gregor<dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Abramo Bagnara wrote:
>> Douglas Gregor ha scritto:
>> The problem we have is to avoid that AST is missing some parts of what
>> GCC is able to compile. Do you think it will be feasible in some way?
>>
>> Do you have some hints for a patch that you would be willing to accept
>> to accomplish that?
>

> I'm not sure how to proceed. Unfortunately, this is one of two GNU C
> extensions I can think of that Clang will *not* support (the other is
> nested functions), and I can't see any way to work around this
> limitation. Not having to worry about variable-length structures
> simplifies semantic analysis and other clients (CodeGen being the big
> one).

How hard would it be for us to actually support this extension in Sema?

I haven't looked or thought about it, but it doesn't seem all that
different from the things we already do for variable length arrays.

If Sema support is do-able and not too horrible, then we could provide
the feature but disable it when using a compiler. This would at least
allow clients other than the compiler to parse, analyze, etc. the
code.

 - Daniel