[cfe-dev] Patch for UCNs in string literals

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Jul 6 09:28:29 PDT 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 2:41 AM, AlisdairM(public) wrote:

> [...]

No plans, but we'd be happy to put in the flags for a C1x mode.

> Given we already implement static_assert for C++0x, I imagine it
> should be fairly easy to adapt for _Static_assert in C1x mode.

How interesting. C1x _Static_assert is identical to C++0x
static_assert, then <assert.h> #defines static_assert to _Static_assert.

Should be a trivial matter to support C1x's _Static_assert with the
same implementation as C++0x's static_assert. Patch welcome :)

> The Unicode characters give me more pause (which I am looking to
> implement for C++0x).  The C standard does not spell out a specific
> name for these types, but defers them to uint_least_16/32_t.
> However, I believe the string literals are usable even when this
> header has not been included, and obviously those typedefs might
> resolve to different types on different platforms.

We should know what uint_least16/32_t are from our target information,
so we can just dig out that appropriate integral type. However, it's
unfortunate that these types don't have a name that would be
recognizable in diagnostics. (What's a character string of type const
int*, anyway?) Smells like a design problem.

> What would be the best way to support this for C?  I had originally
> thought that C defined two new types, _Char16_t and _Char32_t just
> as it introduces _Bool, but that does not seem to be the case.

The best way might be to convince the C committee to add _Char16_t and
_Char32_t. C1x is still young and incomplete.

> On the subject of C testing of UCNs, where should I put this test?
> Does test/lexer/universal_char_name.c sound right?

Sure.

> Again, what should I do about the XFAIL wide-char tests? (other than
> implement the support ;¬)

We can add a new XFAIL tests (in a separate .c file), and will revisit
them when someone gets around to implementing more support for wide
characters.

   - Doug