[cfe-dev] Success compiling Adium

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Sun Jan 25 18:55:06 PST 2009

Hi David,

That's great news! Just to confirm, but you did set CCC_CLANG right?
As currently set up, the new ccc driver doesn't default to calling
clang, and for now even with it it only calls clang on x86/32/Darwin!
:)

Otherwise, ccc should do that magic to invoke clang using PTH,
assuming the Xcode project is already set up to use precompiled
headers. This is a bit of a hack currently and is done in a way so
that Xcode will always rebuild the full project, but assuming you are
timing full builds this shouldn't impact that build time.

ccc will search in a limited set of paths for the clang binary (most
notably the directly that ccc itself is in). This does the right thing
generally if you have done a make install and are using the installed
ccc, but otherwise as Ted noted you may be running a clang from your
path. If you set CCC_ECHO=1 during the build ccc will echo the command
it is running and you can tell which clang it is using (if it doesn't
have an absolute path, it is the one from the path).

Note that ccc being written in Python *does* effect the build time
quite a bit; if Adium consists of a large number of relatively small
files then this could have a significant impact (although not 50%).

Also, you can easily test compiling w/o PCH from the command line by
passing GCC_PRECOMPILE_PREFIX_HEADER=NO to Xcode.

 - Daniel